Thursday, May 17, 2012

My favorite household cleaning recipes

For the past 8 or so years I have been very passionate about using earth friendly cleaning and hygiene products. Not only for the environment but for the health of my family as well. I once heard that if you rub a freshly cut piece of garlic on the bottom of your foot, at some point you'll be able to taste garlic in your mouth because your skin will absorb it's juice. So I asked myself, "why would you put anything on your skin that you would'nt eat? I've done a lot of experimenting over the last few years on making my own stuff. I'm about to give away my most favorite recipes for natural and homemade cleaners and a few recipes you can use to pamper yourself. We have been programmed to think everything we need we have to buy. Why would anyone make their own window cleaner? Or deodorant? It's safer, and way more affordable. I'm not talking about a little bit- I'm talking about 10% of what you would pay at any grocery store. Some of these recipes aren't actually measured amounts. Which is great! Just eyeball the ingredients and you'll be fine.

What you'll need:

A clean container to hold your detergent (you may also want a scoop or use a jar with a pour spout)
Borax
Baking soda
Citric acid or a few packets of lemon kool-aid powder
Lemon and or rosemary essential oil (optional)
Vinegar for the rinse cycle
A bowl and spoon for the mixing of ingredients

I like the way this stuff looks in an old glass jar. Anyway....In a bowl put in a 50/50 mix of  borax and baking soda (borax should be kept away from small children. It is natural but is not safe to eat) A few packets of  the lemon kool-aid, (0r a few tbsp. of citric acid  per cup of detergent)  a half a tsp. of lemon or rosemary essential oil. Mix well and put into your jar. Make sure you shake it before each use to break up clumps. Use it as you would any other detergent in your dishwasher. Add the vinegar into the rinse cycle cup and you have naturally clean dishes.

More to follow on the next blog.... Have a lovely day!

No comments:

Post a Comment