Wednesday, August 1, 2012

You are beautiful.

Beautiful.
Beautiful.
Beautiful!



About a year ago, I stopped shaving my legs. I had had enough with all the time and work taken to make my legs more appealing to others around me. Last week I was at the grocery store with my oldest daughter when behind me I heard "Ew, Gross! Did you see that ladies legs?". I turned around to a group of teenagers snickering and laughing and pointing to me. I will admit, it got to me but I went on and forgot about it. On the car ride home I heard the sound of sniffling and glanced in my rear view mirror to see my daughter crying in the back seat. When I asked her why she was upset she told me it was because of what the kids in the store had said about me and that it made her feel embarrassed that I had hairy legs. That evening I had decided that I would shave my legs for my daughter! And so I did. Later that night, with itchy, naked legs I lay there wondering if I had made the right choice for myself. My daughter was happy but I was not. I am still not happy and I regret the choice to shave. It's a good thing hair grows back! I realize that my choice is not a popular one. I am going to face criticism for choices I make but I'm okay with that. I want my daughters to be proud of their bodies.  I want them to be proud of who they are naturally. I don't want them to think they have to alter themselves to be "normal" or fit in or to be liked by others.I don't want my daughters to feel like body image is something that should imposed upon them. So, here I will stand, and I will stand proud. With my furry stems and tangled hair and a smile on my face, because I know that I am making a stand for women everywhere. On another note, Lammas is here today but I will post about our celebration next week when we celebrate.

1 comment:

  1. I say let it grow back and be true to yourself! I, personally, wax and shave, because I can't stand hair on myself. I am kinda hairy and was teased so bad as a kid, that I think it's created my striving for soft hairless skin over my teenage years. But it's something I'm comfortable doing. A friend of mine, on the other hand, does not shave (legs or armpits) and while I'm very open minded, it's not something that I'm used to seeing. She was over the other day, wearing a dress, and at first, I couldn't help but stare a bit. And within 10 minutes, I didn't notice anymore. What I'm trying to get at, is, the people close to you will get used to it, outsiders will look and possibly judge, and real friends will look past it and not care at all. Being true to who you are is the best thing to do... I am just starting to follow that motto myself in other areas of my life in the past few years and it feels so good to be me!

    ReplyDelete